Plovdiv Regional Vine and Wine Chamber (RVWC) "Trakia" is an association - a legal non-profit entity established as interprofessional organization under the Wine and Spirits in conjunction with Art. 38, par. 1, point 5 of the national law for non-profit organizations.
The Chamber covers the vineyards area,including lands, growers and traders of grapes and the wine region of western Thrace within the limits set by the National Vine and Wine Chamber. The territorial jurisdiction of RVWC Trakia includes:
- Pazardzhik, Plovdiv, Stara Zagora, and Smolyan. RVWC Trakia operates in compliance with the resolutions of the General Assembly of the National Vine and Wine Chamber.
- The Regional Vine and Wine Chamber (RVWC) is administrated by a Steering Committee of 17 members that elects a President, which is the chairman and the legal representative of the Chamber and a Controller. The Steering Committee and the President of RVWC are assisted by an administration unit and a group of well know national and local experts that are also acting as advising team.
- Finally the RVWC have permanent external associates for its accountancy, financial and legal advisory. Below is presented the organization chart of the RVWC.
Thracian region the territory in which the
Regional Vine and Wine Chamber operates:
- Accept professional regulations onviticulture, which are approved by NVWC;
- Support municipal councils, central and territorial executive authorities in the development of their economic policies and funding of targeted programs and projects, including public matters and the development and growth of the agriculture sector, wine regions and local communities;
- Instructs owners who have left their vineyards uncultivated to provide the necessary anti erosion and plant protecting solutions; if the requirements are not met, the
Regional Vine and Wine Chamber may:
- а) hold the owner/s financially responsible for the necessary measures in order to protect the remaining vines or;
- b) organize the handling of vines, harvesting and marketing of crops; the relations between owner/s and RVWC Trakia are governed by general order;
- c) if the owner/s of vineyards cannot be found or if they do not act within two years after instructions, in order to protect other crops from disease or destruction and to protect other chamber members from superfluous costs of compulsory treatment of abandoned vineyards, the Regional Vine and Wine Chamber would then propose to the Minister of Agriculture and Food to order the eradication of these vineyards at the expense of the owner/s; the act and ordering of the eradication is subject to appeal under the Administrative procedure code;
- Assists in changing the use of agricultural lands that were designated for vine-growing; and restoring the use of other lands back to vineyards;
- Forms regional wine tasting commissions for realizing an organoleptic evaluation of wines, grape brandies and brandy;
- Provide certificates of grape origin intended for the production of quality wines produced in a specific area; provide certificate of authenticity of grape brandy and brandy producers; provide certificates of grape origin designated for the making of table and regional wines; the form, content and publishing procedure of certificates are governed by the Regulation for Wine a Spirit Beverages art.8, p.11 and art.36;
In the territory of RVWC Trakia there are 5786 registered producers of wine grapes (natural and legal persons) and 58 winemakers. According to the Executive Agency of Vine and Wine the wine region of Plovdiv has the largest amount of registered and active wine producers in the country.
From a total number of 206 active wine producers, 48 are established in Plovdiv (23.30%).
On the following table the most important wine producers / members of RVWC are presented:
1 ASENOVGRAD WINERY
2 PESHTERA WINERY
3 VINTEHPROM WINERY
4 ZAGREY WINERY
5 DOMAIN MENADA
6 BRESTOVITSA WINERY
7 NORDIC WINERY
8 BESSA VALLEY WINERY
9 AGROFARM WINERY
10 VINEXPERT INVEST
11 VILLA MUTENITSA
12 STANIMASHKI MAVRUD
13 DJIRO TRADE
14 DOMAIN YUSTINA
15 STEMA STAROSEL
In the territorial scope of RVWC “Trakia” are included 33% of vineyards in Bulgaria and variety structure is extremely diverse. In areas around Asenovgrad, Pazardjik and Perushtitsa grown up unique Bulgarian variety “Mavrud”.
The majority of vineyards are aged more than 20 years. New plantations are already 27.5% with an increasing trend. There has recently been the practice for renewal of existing potential vineyards. Favorable soil and weather conditions in the regional low cultivate of local varieties and also varieties form other countries.
It allows for the production of excellent white and red wines. With many merits and individualities distinguish: regional wine “Thracian Valley”, wines with protected designation of origin – regions Plovdiv, Pazardjik, September, Stara Zagora, and wines with controlled and protected designation of origin – regions Asenovgrad, Brestnik, Perushtitsa, Oriahovitsa, Hisaria.